SLIDER

Week in Review: Week 22 February 9-13

Monday, February 16, 2015

Theme: The Giraffe goes to Paris 

This was our second week rowing "The Giraffe goes to Paris". In the story, it takes almost a year for the giraffe to get from Egypt to Paris.  We read a book about the seasons and discussed how the seasons would be different in Egypt compared to Paris.  The boys also finished up their giraffe paintings.  I was so happy with how these turned out.  They may be one of my favorite projects the boys have ever done. The worked more on their giraffe reports and Greyson and Lincoln also put together a 3-D puzzle of the Eiffel Tower.

                                             Image result for The Giraffe goes to Paris













100 Days of School

I already did a post on our 100th day of school and you can check out all the fun we had HERE, but I still wanted to share a couple of my favorite photos. The boys had to create a picture out of the number 100, we had a 100 themed lunch and my very favorite, we took a trip into the future.







100 Book Challenge: Mr. Popper's Penguins

So, I had never heard of this book until I saw the movie  few years back.  I am not really sure how I missed this one along the way, but I am so glad that I am reading it to the boys.  They are loving it. This book was written in the 1930's and it has been fun to compare what life was like in the 30's to today.  The boys noticed how the call a refrigerator and ice box and how they listen to the radio. (We don't even own a radio today!)   We are only about half way through the book and I am curious to find out how the other penguins make it to the Popper's house.  This book is great fun and I look forward to finishing it up next week.

                                                   Image result for mr. popper's penguins book

We are also slowly making it through "The Miserable Mill".  I am not sure if we will make through all 13 of these books as we have slowed way down on the 4th book.  I would still like to find out what happens to the characters and hopefully they end up with some happiness in their lives.

                                                     Image result for the miserable mill
Tea on Tuesday

We opened our mail this week and received a wonderful poem called " Bleezer's Ice Cream" and had giggles from all three boys on the flavors of ice cream that are offered in the shop.  Some of our favorites were: Mozarella Mangosteen, Sukiyaki Succotash, Cotton Candy Carrot Custard, and Pomegranate Pumpernickel.  We have really enjoyed this group so far and it really is helping the boys get more excited about poetry.



We read the section from The Random House Book of Poetry book called "Me I am".  We read lots of poems about ourselves.  I then had the boys do a descriptive poem about themselves.  They had to write words they thought best described themselves.  I thought they did a great job.





Here is Lincoln's Poem:

I am selfish, fast, strong at climbing, funny, smart, American, I am talkative, I am Lincoln.  (Not sure why he said selfish because he really isn't at all.)

Greyson's Poem:

I am clean, kind, generous, adventurous, musical, not picky, athletic, strong, smart, creative, happy, artistic, I am Greyson. His poem made me smile.

Story of the World

This week we were learning about Judaism.  The boys colored the flag of Israel.  We read a fun story called "Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins" and learned about Hanukkah.  The boys made a dreidel and learned how to play.   We were going to make latkes, but just didn't get to it.  We learned a lot about Hanukkah.





Extracurriculars


Lincoln in Judo
Lincoln at Swimming
Grey at swimming
Britton at Co-op
This makes my heart so happy!
Britton building a pretend fire with a friend at co-op

Lincoln at Circus class
Valentine's Day

We prepared all week with art projects to decorate our house for our Valentine's party. Here are some of the projects we made.







We started Valentine's Day off with a themed breakfast,  The boys had a friend spend the night and he was able to join us.  Then, we had a group of 9 kids over to have a Valentine's lunch with us. They each decorated a place mat.



Then we had lunch.


My friend taught the kids the song "L-O-V-E" by Nat KIng Cole.  It was so cute listening to them sing and do the motions.


I then read them a story and we made Valentine's to give to friends or family.


We ended the party with ice cream sundaes, cupcakes, cinnamon rolls, & valentine pretzels.  I forgot to take a picture of all the yummy desserts!! It was a really fun way to spend Valentine's Day.

A Few more fun Photos:

Britton went on a coloring spree one morning.


Greyson, Lincoln and their friends down the street have decided to build a club house.  Thankfully, their mom is a sweetie and has let the kids build this in her front yard.  They are so proud of it and keep adding to it every day.




Britton decided to work on a little math



Now we are ready to start week 22 of school and learn about Chinese New Year and hopefully get to celebrate it in Chinatown this year.  Stay tuned!

Linking up with:

Managing Your Blessing's The Homeschool Mother's Journal
The Homeschool Mother's Journal


Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers's Weekly Wrap-up
Weekly Wrap-Up

 photo signature_zpsda663a8a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...