SLIDER

Queen Saovabha Snake Farm

Saturday, August 1, 2015





A few weeks ago, we made our way back to the Queen Saovabha Snake Farm. This place is a little gem tucked away in Bangkok's busy streets.  The first time we visited the snake farm, it was our first year living in Bangkok.  I really didn't know what to expect.I knew I was terrified of snakes and wasn't sure why we were even there.   I guess I thought it would be a snake performance with snake charmers and who knows what else, I was way off.


When you walk into the snake farm, there are huge enclosures for the snakes to live. It's not like a zoo with the snakes crammed into cages that are too small.  The most impressive enclosure is the one for the King Cobra.  I don't know how many cobras live in there as it is hard to see through the chain linked fence, but it is an eerie feeling walking by and seeing one or two cobras with their hoods raised watching you.  


We decided to go back to the snake farm since the boys are older and though it would be a good lesson on snake safety.  During the show, the snake handlers bring out venomous snakes that live in Thailand.  They tell you all about the snake and what you need to do if you see one or happen to get bit by one.  Each time we have gone I have learned so much about the snakes in Thailand. This is how I know I have lived in Thailand for a long time.  First visit to the farm, I was terrified that a snake would get lose during the show and it would bite us and we would all die.  No, I am not dramatic or anything!  This visit, there was a point when the snake handlers brought out two cobras and the cobras kept watching the handler.  My exact thought was, "Awww.  They look like little puppies watching him like that."  Snap out of it Sara!  These are cobras and can kill you!! I have obviously lived here too long.

One of the best things about the snake farm is the museum.  The main floor is all snakes for you to look at, but my favorite part is the second floor.  The exhibits in this section are all about snake safety, what happens to your body when you are bit by a snake, and the life cycle of a snake. I could not teach the boys about snake safety the way this place does. You also leave with a sense of respect for the snakes and hopefully knowledge about what to do if you see a snake in the open.




 The snake farm is located at the Thai Red Cross. They produce the anti-venom for hospitals in Thailand.  The cost is 200 baht for adults and 50 baht for children.  I highly recommend a little trip to the snake farm if you are in the area.



I'll leave you with our last two favorite photos from the day.  Lincoln was brave enough to touch the Burmese Python.  


And Greyson was so excited to hold the Burmese Python.  He couldn't wait to show everyone this picture!


 photo signature_zpsda663a8a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...