SLIDER

Screen Free Week...Do they really mean EVERY screen?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I love the days when my boys play nicely together, using their imagination and being creative.  I love when they play with a cardboard box for hours turning it into a rocket ship or submarine.  Two of my boys could play with play doh, oobleck, or any other slime for hours.  They love playing in the mud or the water outside. If we turn on music they automatically start break dancing or they will wrap tape and string all through the house pretending to be spies.   If they can have some of their very best playtime without a "screen" why do I find myself relying on it more and more?

Television, computers, iPads, & phones start to drive me crazy.  I feel like when the boys are bored they always ask if they can have "technology" time and I usually give in.  After teaching them all day, I need a little down time or time to prepare for the next day. I find it really is just easier for me to turn on a movie or let them play computer/video games.  I NEVER thought I would be that type of mom.   I imagined I would have had a house full of creativity and maybe 30 minutes of screen time a day.  Boy, that was a crazy dream.

I have been realizing screen time is consuming way too much of our lives.  I'm pretty sure nothing too major is going to happen if I shut off the computer & iPad.  I'm sure I can still have a fulfilling day without checking any social media sites. I am sure I will not have children climbing the walls with boredom if they actually have to use their brain. (Although, they may be climbing the walls as some crazy game they have invented!)  A few  nights ago our electricity went out for a few hours and it was amazing to sit in silence.  We didn't hear the hum of the computers or see the bright lights from the screens...we heard a rainstorm and could appreciate it.  It was pretty amazing.   That night has been festering in me the idea we need to take some time away and have a little screen detox.

I was so excited when I read this weekend that Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood is challenging households to a Screen free week the week of April 29- May 5.   My family will be taking the pledge to power down and rely on our imaginations and each other and I hope some of you will join in too.  Check out Screen free week on facebook or at http://www.commercialfreechildhood.org/   Let me know if your family joins in the Challenge to be screen free!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...