SLIDER

Lessons from my 5 year old

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Two weekends ago, we were all set up and ready for my 5 year old's Jake and the Neverland Pirate party.  He was so excited to be celebrating his birthday with his friends.  I had to actually print off a calendar at the beginning of the month for him to put stickers on every day because he would ask multiple times EVERY.DAY when his party was.  This boy was excited!!

I spent the whole day before the party getting ready.  Cleaning, making food & cupcakes and decorating the house.  I just had to frost the cupcake the next morning.

At 6 am, the morning of the party, my 7 year old woke up with a stomach bug,  I thought at first he just ate something that upset his stomach, but after being sick most of the early morning, I knew we had to call off the party. I was disappointed and really did not want to let Britton know that his party was going to have to be re-scheduled.

I pulled Britton on my lap and explained to him that we were going to have to cancel his party fully expecting disappointment and possibly tears.  Britton chose to surprise by responding, "That's ok. Maybe all my friends can come now."  What?! I was shocked. Britton knew that  a few of his friends were not able to come to his party due to commitments and also being sick and he was excited that they all might be able to come.   And you know what? Every friend ended up coming to his re-scheduled party!

I love how Britton decided to look at the positive instead of letting his whole day or week being ruined by something that was completely out of his control.  He told me many times during the following week that he was glad his party had to be changed because he was so happy all of his friends could be there with him.  

I wish I could be more like Britton and realize many things are just out of my control and I can choose to make them ruin my day or I can choose find the positive in the situation.  This little guy of mine is full of surprises and has taught me some really great life lessons. So, I am going to follow Britton's lead and stop letting things out of my control alter my attitude and just try to look for the positive.   And he did end up having a really great party with his friends.



 photo signature_zpsda663a8a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...