SLIDER

One week update: Chile

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Our neighborhood at night

The boys and I have been in Chile for a little over a week and I thought I would give you a little update on how we are adjusting so far.

The House:
To be honest, I wasn't really sure about the house at first.  Keep in mind, we have no furniture, it's a brand new construction, so there is no grass, a garbage pile in the front yard, and a port-a-potty (which may come in handy for the boys.)  It was just such a different view from walking into our completely furnished home in Thailand.  This past weekend, we bought curtains for all the rooms and started to install all 97 light fixtures that need to be put up.  The houses in Chile come without light fixtures, so we had to buy all of those.  For now, we just have a light socket and wires hanging out of the wall.  Ben is making furniture for quite a few rooms in the house and our new couches should be arriving in the next week.  It's slowly starting to feel like a home, but I completely forgot how much work a house is!!




Ben did a really good job finding a house for us.  This house has a master bathroom.  Did you hear me? A master bathroom!!  I will never have to walk into a bathroom covered in pee again.  Moms of boys, you understand, right?  I have 2 bath tubs!!  Oh my goodness, I think we have taken more baths in the last week than we ever have in our whole lives.  I have a dryer...something I went without for 5 years in Thailand.  A proper oven, like I can make a pan of brownies at once instead of splitting it in half and then it taking twice as long to make.  I will even have  dishwasher!!  I feel a little spoiled. We also have a car, but I'm not quite so sure how I feel about that.  I really miss my scooter.

The Boys:  
The boys are all adjusting really well.  They love that they have their own living space.  Greyson is really liking having his own room and it is fun to see the relationship that is forming between Lincoln and Britton, since they share a room.  They have been enjoying playing outside.  I don't have to worry about cobras or scorpions.  They are totally smitten with their new dog, who is still without a name. They love playing on the playground that is right behind our house.  Lincoln has mastered the monkey bars and is pretty proud of himself.  We have had two "Taco Tuesdays" with two other families from the school and that has been a lot of fun for all of us.  Overall, I am really happy with how easy this transition has been for them.  They miss their friends in Thailand, but I think they have accepted the life that we have and realize they are lucky to have friends all over the world.




Me:
So, my part may come off that I am whining, but please do not take it that way.  My first impressions: Chile is beautiful.  I could just stare out the windows all day.  The mountains are amazing and I have loved watching the horses across the street from us.  Chile is cold!  Coming from triple digit heat, this 40 degree stuff is way more than I can handle.  I know 40 is such a mild winter, but I am freezing,  We all ended up with terrible colds and are all still trying to feel better.  Lincoln is the only one that is back to his healthy self.  I have already been looking into air purifiers.  I think that is something we will need here.

Last week, I was waiting on some of the workers to come and clean up the yard.  I didn't know what any of them looked like, so when two men showed up and were looking through the back yard, I thought they were supposed to be here. Turns out, they were not supposed to be here and stole Ben's brand new saw.  The guy even had the nerve to wave at me!  So, we are now looking into security systems, electric fencing, and barbed wire to keep our house secure.  It left me with a very strange feeling, but the contractors have been wonderful and have offered to buy Ben a new saw and have been showing up every morning to make sure the right crew is at the house.

I'm in a bit of a funk right now.  Could be due to the cold weather, could be the lack of community I feel around here, could be the confusion of not ever being quite sure what is happening, or could be due to the fact I am sick right now, but I don't want to leave the house.  I fully expected year one in Chile to be difficult.  I didn't expect to miss my friends and life in Thailand with such a fierceness that I find overwhelming at times.  I loved these people, they were my family for 5 years and my support system.  I am so thankful to have met them and been a part of that community in Thailand.  I know, that in time, I will make wonderful friends here and find a support system and family I also love, but a the moment I am like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum and saying, "I don't want to make friends.  I want my old friends."  Moving is tough.  It takes time to fall into the right place and I know it will take a good part of year one.  I want to love Chile, but like I have said before, Chile has some big shoes to fill.

On our agenda for the upcoming week:  The boys will be starting school on Monday, ready or not, I will be hosting my first Taco Tuesday, we will be diving into our Spanish lessons, taking the dog to his first vet appointment, and we will be learning to be kind to ourselves.  It's ok to not love your placement at first, it will all just take a little time.


 photo signature_zpsda663a8a.png

6 comments :

  1. Life is not always what we expect. The fun part is looking back through the adventures and all the exciting things that we did not expect to happen. BTW your about me is still set to Thailand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ��☀️��☀️��☀️�� Sending sunshine and hugs. From unexpected experiences can come even greater experiences. Enjoy some tea and the beautiful countryside. School can wait a little bit ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the beautiful encouragement! It's already getting a little sunnier in my life :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you guys have been under the weather! Hope you are all feeling better soon. It's okay to miss your friends, what a blessing to have people to miss! Give yourself some grace as you embark on this new chapter in your journey! You're doing a fantastic job! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do feel pretty lucky to have people in my life that I love so dearly. (you included!!) Hope you have had a great beginning to the school year.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...