SLIDER

Thanksgiving...Same, Same...but different!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I checked the weather today because it actually felt pretty cool out.  My phone said 91 degrees, feels like 102 degrees!  Well, my internal thermometer is way off because I was pretty sure it had to be in the low 80's.  I am never going to be able to live in a place that has temperatures below 70.  I'm sure I would freeze to death. Now my dilemma is, how do you make it feel like Ohio in November, when you live in a place that you're fairly certain is located on the sun?

Every holiday I go a bit overboard.  I try as hard as I can to re-create the holiday we would be experiencing as if we still lived in the States. It is a lot of work and I am usually yelling at myself for putting this ridiculous amount of pressure on myself, but in the end I am so thankful I have taken the time to do this. I also love throwing my own personal touch to each holiday. We will start off the morning watching a recording of the Thanksgiving parade, followed by Thanksgiving mad libs and balloon Turkey races, Thanksgiving lunch, and football at the pool.  I already have half of the Thanksgiving dinner prepared and in my freezer.  I will figure out how to squeeze a turkey into my small convection oven.  I only have one working burner, so that will take a little coordinating, but I am determined we will have that Thanksgiving feast.

The holidays can be a tough time for expats.  Thailand doesn't feel like our home during the holidays.  We are not gathered at our parent's house eating a wonderful dinner and watching football (American football, that is.)  My boys won't be running around  with their cousins after an overload of sugar from all the yummy desserts.   My kids won't have the same memories I have when I think back to my childhood during the holiday season.  But what they will have are their own holiday traditions.

I am determined to give our boys albums full of memories.  It's okay that it's not the same as my childhood.  We are doing it our own way and I love our little family Thanksgiving in Thailand.  But, could you do me a favor?  If you see our families over the holidays, could you give them a little hug and let them know we do really miss making holiday memories with them too?  Thanks ~




Some cute Thanksgiving decorations that my mom sent to make our Thanksgiving a little more festive.  Love this silly turkey!
 photo signature_zpsda663a8a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...