SLIDER

Saying Goodbye

Wednesday, July 23, 2014




Goodbyes are never easy.  It's hard for the ones who are moving away, but it is equally as hard for the ones who are left behind. Living as an expat, you tend to rely on others quicker than you would if you lived near family. Friendships become deeper much faster. Friends become your family and your support group. Great relationships are made and your surrogate family is born. But, expats do not usually stay in one place forever, which means saying goodbye every year to a number of families. We have been lucky that we have not had to say goodbye to many close friends over our 3 years in Thailand, but at the end of this school year the time came to say goodbye to some of our closest friends.

"T" was one of the first people I met when I moved to Thailand. She showed me around our neighborhood and made me feel very welcome. She has a son right between my two older boys and they became fast friends. Over the next 3 years, we went on vacation together, had theme meal nights, had girls nights, went on adventures in the city, and spent holidays together. Some of our favorite moments while living in Thailand have included them. 

They decided it was time to leave Bangkok and accepted a job in another country.  I didn't realize how upset I would end up being. It actually took me a bit by surprise. But, when a person who has been a constant in your life, someone you can talk to openly, someone you look up to as a mentor leaves...it leaves a hole. My boys were losing one of their best friends and we were losing a family that we have really enjoyed spending time with. It took many conversations with the boys to digest the loss they were going to be experiencing. They are doing better with it now.  Thank goodness for skype and care packages!  Now we have friends on a new continent and who knows, maybe a new country to visit!   

Life as an expat brings so many hellos and goodbyes. Of course the goodbyes are sad, but we get to say hello to many new people all the time. I am so thankful for the people that have been brought into my life living as an expat. I have friends from all over, with different backgrounds, religions and cultures and I feel my life is fuller because of it. So, now this family has a special spot in our hearts and a photo on our wall of people that have left a mark in our lives. 

Saying goodbye is never easy, but I know it isn't forever.  We will meet up again.  Good luck "L's".  We look forward to hearing of all the great things to come to you this year!
 photo signature_zpsda663a8a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...