SLIDER

What we are reading this week

Sunday, February 5, 2017



We have an ambitious read aloud set for the next couple of weeks. We are a little all over the place this week from wizards to wars to motivational speakers to two little boys that like to cause trouble.   Usually I am only reading 3 books at a time to the boys.  I have an after lunch read aloud that I read to all 3 boys and a nighttime read aloud just for Britton and one for the other two boys.  But this week we have two extra books thrown into the mix.


After Lunch Read Aloud

Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen

Image result for harris and me

This book is on our 100 read aloud book list.  It's a bit difficult to get through because the one character swears a lot and there have been a few lines in the book that I wasn't comfortable reading to the boys.  Overall, we like the book so far, but the language is my one complaint.  I usually just skip what he says that I am not comfortable saying to the boys.  Some may disagree with this option, but for now, it's what I am comfortable with.


Nighttime Read Aloud- Britton

Fudge-A-Mania by Judy Blume

Image result for Fudge a mania

Britton and I have read all of the previous Fudge books and have really enjoyed them all.  We like seeing what trouble Fudge gets into and all the stress he causes his big brother.  This time Fudge is planning on getting married and Britton can hardly stand it.  Anything to do with love makes this little boy blush.

Nighttime Read Aloud- Greyson & Lincoln

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling


Image result for half blood prince

We are half-way through the 6th book in the HP series and we cannot read it fast enough.  I will be the first to say that I was very skeptical of the Harry Potter books and I am completely surprised by how much I like them.  I have never watched the movies, so I have no idea what is in store for us, but I cannot wait to see where this whole story ends.  I know I will be missing our HP friends when we are all finished.


History Read Aloud

Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr. ? by Bonnie Bader

Image result for who was martin Luther King Jr book

To go along with Martin Luther King day  couple weeks ago we started his biography to learn a little more about his life.  We love the "Who is" series and they are really fast reads, but we are taking this book one chapter a day.  Last summer, when we were in Washington D.C. we found the step where he gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech.  It's always fun when you can pull a personal experience into your lesson.

How I Found the Strong by Margaret McMullan

Image result for How I found the strong

A couple weeks ago we started our new Beyond Five in a Row book, George Washington Carver by Eva Moore. I thought this would be good time to start discussing the Civil War.  How I Found the Strong is a great book to start talking how this time in our history.  It gives great descriptions of what life was like at the time.  Not too graphic, but enough to really convey what you would have heard and seen.  I am looking forward to going deeper into this topic in the future with the boys.

Ones of these 5 books will be our 100th read aloud!!  We are pretty excited about that.  We have book working hard for the past 3 years, reading almost everyday,  Once we hit 100 books we are going to celebrate with a party and a special surprise!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...