SLIDER

Learning about Cambodia's Past

Thursday, February 6, 2014

I hate New Year's Resolutions.  I try to keep them, but they just never stick.  I have tried eating healthy, reading 2 books a month for my own enjoyment and not for school, being more organized, & having more fun/no yelling at the kids.  I usually do great during the month of January, but by February it's like, what resolution?  But, waking up in Cambodia and knowing how we were going to be spending the day, I decided to make a resolution that I think I will be able to keep.

We were going to be spending our morning at The War Museum.  We had spent the last two days learning about the ancient history of Cambodia, but I wanted to learn more about the more recent history in Cambodia. I honestly didn't know much about the more recent past of Cambodia.  I didn't know much about the Vietnam war and I had no idea about the Khmer Rouge.

We headed in to the War Museum, not really quite knowing what to expect.  Right away, we were greeted by a tour guide.  Tom, the guide, was going to show us around and try to explain a little more of what happened during the war.  Tom was 12 years old when he began fighting.  12 years old!  I was having a hard time grasping that when I have a 9 year old.  He lost track of his parents and family and has never been able to find them.  By the time he was 14, he lost his arm due to a land mine. But what amazed me about Tom, was even though he lived through terrible circumstances, he had such a kind and peaceful spirit.  He is very much concerned about the future of Cambodia and the Cambodians that have been affected by the land mines.

 Tom, our Tour guide
 Grey learning about different kinds of weapons used in the war
 Trip wires
 These were nails twisted together and scattered on the ground.  Tom had scars on his feet from stepping on them.  


Seeing some of the photos, guns, uniforms, I wasn't sure how the boys would react.  They have never seen what war can do to a country  and I wanted them to understand that war is serious and not a game, but I also didn't want them to be terrified.  Tom did a wonderful job at giving very straight forward answers, but with enough detail for kids under 10.    The boys handled this experience beautifully and were very curious about what had happened in Cambodia.  I think they understood to some degree the seriousness of the situation.
 Gas Masks

Uniforms worn by soldiers in the killing fields


Walking around the grounds of the War Museum is an unnerving experience.  We were told that over 250 mines were removed from that site.  Mines still are scattered along the borders of Cambodia and 1-2 people are hurt or killed every week due to them. It is a terribly sad situation and I hope that one day the mines can be removed so no one else is hurt.   There were so many more questions I would have liked to ask Tom.  I felt like I was missing bits and pieces of what happened during the war and how Cambodia became involved.  And this is where my New Year's Resolution comes into play.  I decided I need to learn as much as I can about the places that we visit.  I started reading a book called "First They Killed My Father" by Loung Ung.  This book has filled in so many missing pieces for me and after reading it I have so much admiration for this country to pull themselves out of complete despair in the past 30 years.  Cambodia is a beautiful country with amazing people.  You would never know from a visit how terrible the conditions were not that long ago.
Landmines, they are very difficult to see.

Cambodia stole a piece of me.  It made me want to learn more.  It made me want to help more.  I never knew I could feel so strongly about a country I only spent 4 days in, but I hope that I will have the opportunity to go back again.  So, after our trip to Cambodia I decided I need to learn more about the world.  I need to have a better world view and learn about a place myself instead of opinions from others and the media.  I am hoping this is one Resolution I can keep!

Time to leave Cambodia and head on to Hong Kong.  Just wait to hear about our fun time with airlines, Shanghai Airport (why were we all the way over in Shanghai?) and how we spent our first day in Hong Kong!
Goodbye Cambodia.  I hope to see you again! (Cambodia International Airport)
 photo signature_zpsda663a8a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...