SLIDER

Finding Time to Read Out Loud

Thursday, January 29, 2015

I know I talk about this all the time, but I started reading chapter books out loud to the boys a year ago.  At first it was hard to find the time or even to remember to read to the boys.  I know I teach them everyday and I read them several books a day, but reading for enjoyment was hard for me to fit into our routine. I found a great chapter book list that I am following and we have discovered some great books that I didn't even know existed. So, I decided that reading to the boys had to be a priority.

Once I decided that I need to make this a part of our daily routine, the next step was fitting it into our day. I have had many families ask me when I read to the boys and how can we complete so many books a year,so here are the times I read to them everyday.

1. After lunch:  The boys always have a little rest time after lunch, so this is the perfect time to read to them.  They lay on the floor and listen to the story while they are nice and relaxed from lunch.


2. Before bedtime:  Every night around 7:00 pm I start reading to the boys.  We read for as long as they are interested.  Some nights it might only be a chapter, other nights we read for a whole hour. All depends on the books.

3. During travel:  I know this may not work for some families, but we rely on taxis in Thailand.  Most places we travel to during the week are at least 10-15 minutes away one way, so I started reading during our taxi trips.  It has also cut down on the boys getting restless in the taxi and now they always ask me if I brought a book with me.


On average, I probably read out loud to the boys for an hour.  This has become one of my favorite times in the day and (although they would never admit it)  I think the boys really enjoy it to.

What are some ways or times you sneak reading into your day?

You may also like our Favorite Books of 2014

 photo signature_zpsda663a8a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...