SLIDER

Week in Review: Week 18- January 19-25

Saturday, January 31, 2015

This week started off a little different than I had expected.  Greyson was admitted to the hospital on Sunday due to a skull fracture.  We ended up staying in the hospital Sunday through Tuesday, just for him to be monitored.  I think he enjoyed the time away.  Greyson even mentioned that it was kind of like a little vacation.  Poor kid needs some more alone time!  Here are some photos of Greyson's hospital stay.


 So happy to eat after not eating for 18 hours.  He was so hungry!
 The hospital grounds and the outside of the building

 Walking in to Greyson's room.  Yes, that is a refrigerator and a microwave!

Such a nice hospital.


Theme of the week:  FIAR Katy and the Big Snow

Well, it's winter in America, so I like to let the boys experience a little winter time fun.  We  started reading one  of the many favorites from our Five in a Row series, Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton.  This is a fun book about a snow plow named Katy and how she saves a city from a very big snow storm. We will be reading this book for two weeks, so I will have a post on what we did with this book, but here are a few things we went over this week.


 Learning how to read a map
 Learning what the colors of street signs mean

 Making a compass
 Watching a mash up of Sesame Street community helpers video.  
 Community helper puppets

100 Book Challenge

This week we started reading Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor.  I have never read this book, so I am excited to hear about this story right along with the boys.  I know it's a classic story and I am not quite sure how I missed it growing up.

                                                

We have also started our 3rd Lemony Snicket book, The Wide Window.  We love reading about the Baudelaire orphans.

                                  

Tea on Tuesday

Greyson and I didn't get home until around 2:00 pm from the hospital on Tuesday and I was not really in the mood to start up school work.  But, I did remember that it was Tuesday, so we read some poems and had some treats from the bakery.  The boys were not really interested in the poem selections from this week.  Next week, I need to plan more of an activity for them and maybe have them try writing a poem.   Just reading the poems will not keep them interested every week, but I am going to keep on trying.

History

We have been reading about Caesar and Cleopatra in our Story of the World curriculum.  All of us were very interested in their lives and what happened to Cleopatra after Casear died.  They had quite the soap opera going on.  We read a great book about Cleopatra's life and how it ended.







 What we are working on

The boys moved up to level 3 in All About Spelling this past week.  I am very happy with the pace they have been working at in this program.  I wish I would have started this program earlier with them.  We are still a little behind, but moving right along and I am very happy with that.


They are also working on their Writing with Ease program.  This is another program I wish I would have found earlier because both boys are behind in their writing skills.  I know we will get caught up, but every once in a while I have a slight panic attack when I think that my oldest will be in 5th grade next year.  I think I know what our focus will be this summer.



The boys started a great Spanish program two weeks ago and are loving it.  We are using Spanish for Kids and I am really impressed at how fast they are learning words.  They know their numbers, vowels, colors, and how to say some sentences and answer questions.  So, I am really hoping this is a program we can build on and they will be able to learn Spanish.



 New Food This Week


 Love making my own Green curry.  I use this recipe. I leave out the sugar and add lots of veggies. 
 Chicken spinach meatballs and cinnamon pumpkin
I loved this meal! Chicken Parm ( I used almond powder for the breading.) & homemade sauce (I left out the sugar)


We also started house hunting this week.  The owner of our home would like to move into it, so we have to move in June,  Hoping we can find a great house soon!



 photo signature_zpsda663a8a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...